Applications for 2020 have now closed.
Interviews will take place on the 28th, 29th and 30th Jan. Interview invitations will be sent out week commencing 13th Jan.
Cambridge MRC DTP (PhD) Studentships – (the following details are for information only).
Academic requirements: At least a 2:1 Honours degree from a UK university or equivalent in a related topic.
English language requirements: The University requires a high level of proficiency in English. For details, click here http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/competence-english/will-i-have-language-requirement
Eligibility for the studentships is subject to MRC nationality and residence criteria.
To be eligible for a full award, a student must have:
- settled status in the UK, meaning they have no restrictions on how long they can stay, and
- been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for three years prior to the start of the studentship. This means they must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences).
- An EU student who has been ordinarily resident in the UK throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and whose residence in the UK was not during any part of the period wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education, is normally entitled to full funding.
- An EU student whose residence in the UK was wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education, is also normally entitled to full funding if they were ordinarily resident in the EEA immediately before the period of residence.
EU fees-only studentships
Students from EU countries other than the UK (that have not spent 3 years in the UK prior to their degree course), and are ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU are generally eligible for a fees-only award.
The MRC DTP award covers the cost of the university fees, conference fund and Research Training Supplement Grant, but does not include the monthly stipend. Students are advised to apply for additional funding to cover the stipend.
Information on further funding is available from the MRC DTP Administrator.
International (non-UK/EU) students
The Medical Research Council restricts the use of funding to support international candidates and therefore we will not be accepting applications from international students for this call.
Applications must be made on the University’s Applicant Portal. Click here for a link to the Graduate Admissions webpages (http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply).
Please search in the Course Directory for “MRC DTP” PhD studentships, selecting course code MDSM22 as the programme of study. https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/cvcmpdmsc
You can select one research theme and two projects from that theme – please add these to the ‘Research title’ field in order of preference quoting the project ID. In the ‘Research summary’ field provide a brief synopsis of why you have chosen your project/s. Please provide the name of the Primary Supervisor for your first choice project in the ‘Research Supervisor’ field. Please note that these selections are for guidance only, most students will make their final project selections after they have received an offer of a place.
Additionally, students can also arrange their own research projects, seeking a suitable PI. These requests will be considered at the time of application, and should be made through the MRC DTP Administrator in the first instance to check for suitability of project and to seek departmental authorisation.
Please note that as well as applying via a Research Council funding programme you are recommended to also apply simultaneously for a place direct with the relevant Department on a second application (also selecting ‘yes’ to the funding question on the ‘How to apply for Funding’ page). By doing so you will automatically be considered for a place and funding via the Department should you not be awarded a Research Council funded place. You should also be seeking and applying for alternative and additional funding opportunities.
You need to upload the following documents with your application:
- Transcripts or degree certificates
- English language score report forms (if English is not your first language)
Note: The two referees you list on the application form will be contacted automatically for their references, so please ensure you provide their correct email addresses.
Further details on entry requirements can be found here:https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/entry-requirements
For general enquiries, please email email@example.com
Please note this page was updated on 31/10/19, in conjunction with the current information from Cambridge University Admissions Office.