**Updates to Flexible Funding – COVID-19 **
We will continue with the usual process for flexible funding awards. The applications submitted on 2nd March will be assessed and you will be advised in due course of the outcome. If your funding requirement is in relation to internships/placements, conferences or any activity that breaks with the government’s social distancing and non-essential travel policies, then then we will hold back providing the funds until the C-19 outbreak has passed and the FCO have advised it is safe for you to travel again.
If you already have funding for internships or other activity that has been postponed during the C-19 outbreak, this will still be available to you when normal operations resume.
You do not need to re-apply, but please let us know the revised dates for your activity.
MRC Additional Funding to support Skills and Partnership Training
The MRC have allocated a supplement to the Cambridge MRC DTP to support skills and partnership training for MRC-funded PhD students (including DTP students, CASE students, students working with an MRC Unit/Institute/Centre and Clinical Research Training Fellows).
This flexible supplementary funding replaced and extended a number of bespoke schemes that the MRC had previously made available to individuals (including in vivo science strategic skills awards, overseas fieldwork costs, and stipend extensions for placements).
Funds can be used flexibly to support:
- High cost training in recognised areas of strategic need such as bioinformatics, advanced in vivo training and imaging (see MRC Strategic Skill Priorities).
- Exceptional training opportunities, such as overseas fieldwork, time ‘out of programme’ to complete a complementary and beneficial placement, or training in new advanced research skills.
- RCUK policy internships for MRC
- MRC/Academy of Medical Sciences Policy Internship scheme students
- Opportunities to provide training with industry or at the interdisciplinary interface.
- Transitions from PhD to first postdoc positions to increase the competitiveness of outstanding candidates to secure prestigious postdoctoral appointments.
MRC have stipulated that the funds CANNOT be used to extend existing studentships unless there is specific justification for outstanding candidates to secure prestigious post-doctoral appointments.
All MRC-funded students covered by the University’s Doctoral Training Partnership Agreement are eligible to apply for these funds. These include:-
- Core MRC DTP students
- Students working within an MRC Institute, Unit, Centre or Partnership students
- MRC Industrial CASE students
- MRC Clinical Research Training Fellows
There are approximately 250 MRC-funded PhD students currently on the University of Cambridge register and the supplement awarded totals ~£120,000. It is therefore proposed that only in exceptional cases will individual applications in excess of £5,000 be considered, with an absolute upper limit of £10,000 per person.
Next Deadlines: Monday 28 October 2019, Monday 2nd March 2020, and Monday 8th June 2020